Academic Year 2022/23
Co-ordinator of Foundations of Teaching in Higher Education (YELC6101)
- Foundations of Teaching in Higher Education: Seminar (YELC6101)
- Foundations of Teaching in Higher Education: Practicum (YELC6103)
- Learning by Design (YELC6105)
- Creating a Teaching Portfolio (YELC6107)
- Inquiry Based Learning (YELC6151)
- Supervising Undergraduate Research (YELC6160)
- Global Teaching Fellowship
- Open Learning Initiative (OLIve) programme
I hold a BSc in Physics, with included Initial Teacher Education in year 4. My PhD was in the field of Physics Education and he has an MA in Education. My research interests since then have been diversified and cover areas such as inclusive education, adult education, lifelong learning and higher education. I was involved with a few international, inter-disciplinary and collaborative research projects, namely, EUROAC, UNIBILITY, COMMIT, ERSALE and Inclusive Learning. More recently, I held a Marie Curie Fellowship, which entailed a 2-year visiting scholar period at Michigan State University.
Making your teaching interactive & learner centred
Integrating digital tools to teaching material
Active Learning – Group work
Scaffolding group work and projects
Teaching large groups
I am a founding member of the Neurodiversity in Design Group and the Early Career Higher Education Researchers Network.
I have secured 425,018€ in funding to date from international funders (European Commission – Marie Curie & Erasmus + ; European Science Foundation) and national funders (UCD, Respect).”
- Politis, Y., Clemente, I., Lim, Z. & Sung, C. (2023). The Conversation skills Assessment Tool (ChAT): Development and validation. Autism & Developmental Language Impairments.
- McNulty, J. & Politis, Y. (2023). Empathy, emotional intelligence and inter-professional skills in healthcare education. Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences, Online. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1939865423000450?via%3Dihub
- Lubbe, I. & Politis, Y. (2023). Finding synergy in diversity during interprofessional team-teaching. Advances in Online Education, 1(3), 219-232. https://hstalks.com/article/7701/download/?business
- Donnelly, R. & Politis, Y. (2021). Embracing online engagement with undergraduate supervisors: Collective perspectives on the online pivot. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, Special issue on Online/Remote/Distance Supervision
Politis, Y., Olivia, L., & Olivia, T (2019). Empowering people with Autism through their involvement in the design of a Virtual World. Advances in Autism. Available online: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/AIA-01-2019-0001/ful...
Politis, Y., Sung, C., Goodman, L., and Leahy, M. (2019). Conversation Skills Training for People with Autism through Virtual Reality: Using Responsible Research and Innovation Approach. Advances in Autism, 6(1), 3-16. Available online: https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/AIA-05-2018-0017
Robb, N., Northridge, J., Politis, Y. & Zhang, B. (2018). Parental intention to support computerized cognitive training for children with genetic neurodevelopmental disorders. Frontiers in Public Health, Special Issue on Intellectual Disability and Assistive Technology. . Available: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2018.00309/full
Politis, Y., Deveril, D., Baldiris Navarro, S., Avila, C., de Lera, E., Monjo, T. and, Goodman, L. (2014). Introducing the Inclusive Learning Handbook: an OER for teachers and policy makers. Valencia: IATED Academy Publishing.
Politis, Y., Newbutt, N., Robb, N., Kuo, H.J., Sung, C. & Boyle, B. (2020). Case Studies of Users with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities: Showcasing Their Roles in Early Stages of VR Training Development In: A. Brooks, S. Braham, B. Kapralos, A. Nakajima, J. Tyerman & L.C. Jain (Eds.), Recent Advances in Technologies of Inclusive Well-Being: Virtual patients, gamification and simulation. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Robb, N., Boyle, B. Politis, Y., Newbutt, N., Kuo, H.J. & Sung, C. (2020). Participatory technology design for autism and cognitive disabilities: a narrative overview of issues and techniques. In: A. Brooks, S. Braham, B. Kapralos, A. Nakajima, J. Tyerman & L.C. Jain (Eds.), Recent Advances in Technologies of Inclusive Well-Being: Virtual patients, gamification and simulation. Dordrecht: Springer.
Murphy, E., Politis, Y. and Slowey, M. (2015). Contributing to an evidence base for the enhancement of the experiences and outcomes of mature students at an Irish University. In, F.M. Ribeiro, B. Culum & Y. Politis, New Voices in Higher Education Research and Scholarship. Hershey (PA): IGI Global.
Clarke, M., Drennan, J., Hyde, A. and Politis, Y. (2014). Academics’ perceptions of their professional contexts. In T. Fumasoli, G. Goastellec & B. Kehm (Eds). Academic Careers in Europe - Trends, Challenges, Perspectives. Dortrecht: Springer.
Drennan, J., Clarke, M., Hyde, A. and Politis, Y. (2013). The Research Function of the Academic Profession in Europe. In U. Teichler and E.A. Höhle, (Eds). The Work Situation of the Academic Profession in Europe: Findings of a Survey in Twelve European Countries. Dordrecht: Springer.
Ribeiro, F.M., Culum, B. and Politis, Y. (Eds.) (2015). New Voices in Higher Education Research and Scholarship. Hershey (PA): IGI Global
Clarke, M., Drennan, J., Harmon, D., Hyde, A. and Politis, Y. (2015). The Academic Profession in Ireland. Dublin: UCD
Politis, Y. (2012). The National Induction Programme for Teachers (NIPT): ATECI commissioned report 2010-12.
Relevant Research Interests
I received ethics approval on a project entitled Academic Professional Development. The project will use a Participatory Design approach to develop the outline of a CPD workshop. The topic of the workshop will be decided upon by the participants of focus group(s). This topic is very timely for the Irish context, since there is a new National Professional Development Framework that encourages academic Professional Development opportunities through formal and non-formal means such as workshops and seminars. They have applied to the National Forum (NF) for the enhancement of Teaching and Learning for funding to host a seminar on the topic. This project would be a pilot to a future funding application to the NF.
I am involved with a collaborative project with a colleague from the University of Kentucky entitled Gender Bias in Science Textbooks (GBiST), which will examine the genderness levels (i.e., gender bias) of an Irish Science textbook, through the use of the Gender Bias 14 tool. This unfunded project will lead to a follow-up project examining the genderness levels of an American Science textbook, for a similar age group, and will lead to a funding application to the Spencer Foundation.