Deadline to submit Short Recommendations: December 31, 2023
Deadline to submit full Applications: February 29, 2024
European Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Social Sciences and Humanities
Central European University is pleased to announce the thirteenth annual European Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Social Sciences and Humanities. This pioneering award, first announced in 2011 on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of Central European University, honors academics in the social sciences and humanities who teach at higher education institutions in the European Higher Education Area.
The Diener Prize of 5,000 euros, which accompanies the award, is made possible by a generous gift from Steven and Linda Diener in memory of Ilona Diener.
Selection Criteria for the European Award for Excellence in Teaching
All candidates must have an outstanding overall teaching record. They should demonstrate sustained commitment to teaching excellence, rather than simply one-off achievements. In addition, candidates must show exemplary experience in one or more of these practices:
- applying innovative teaching methods;
- combining theory and practice, relevance and scholarly excellence;
- using research elements to achieve excellence in teaching;
- applying problem-based/problem-oriented teaching;
- achievements in encouragement of critical thinking;
- socially engaged teaching
Applications from candidates working with students from less affluent or disadvantaged social backgrounds are particularly welcome.
The selection process is coordinated by the CEU Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research. The selection committee is comprised of distinguished international faculty and higher education leaders.
To be eligible, a candidate must be:
- an academic instructor of any rank in the Social Sciences and/or Humanities; and
- currently teaching at a higher education institution in a member country of the European Higher Education Area.
Current and former faculty members of Central European University are not eligible.
Candidates considered in previous years are welcome to reapply and are encouraged to do so after gaining additional experience that would make their application more competitive.
How to Apply
Step 1 (Optional). Recommend a Candidate
Students, Alumni, Faculty Colleagues, and Institutional Leaders are invited to submit a brief Recommendation Form. Please consider recommending your best professor or a colleague whose teaching you believe is outstanding.
Recommendations must be submitted using the Recommendation Form. We will contact your candidate and invite them to submit a full application. No further action is required on your part.
Deadline to submit a Short Recommendation Form: December 31, 2023.
Step 2 (Required). Faculty Members Application after Recommendation or Self-Recommendation:
Individual faculty members who
a) have been recommended for the European Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Social Sciences and Humanities and wish to be considered, or
b) who have not been recommended but believe they meet the requirements and wish to be considered,
should send their application materials to the CEU Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research, TeachingAward@ceu.edu
Deadline to submit full Applications: February 29, 2024.
At this stage, faculty members wishing to apply must submit the following documents:
- A detailed personal statement written by the candidate about their teaching, including concrete examples of what they have accomplished or learned in their teaching, their approaches to teaching or philosophy of teaching, and a discussion of what their goals are for their teaching in the future (1500 - 2000 words);
- the candidate's curriculum vitae (or resume), including teaching-relevant information, and candidate's contact information;
- two letters of support: one from a colleague who is familiar with the candidate's teaching record; and one from a former student (letters from former students should describe the teacher's influence on them);
- contact information for the higher education institution, including the relevant person in the institution's press office.
Incomplete submissions and submissions submitted later than February 29, 2024, will not be considered.
All submitted documents must be in English.
Step 3 (Select Candidates by Invitation Only). Shortlisted Candidates Submit Additional Information
At this stage of the selection process, the CEU Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Educations Research will contact selected candidates to obtain additional information in support of the application.
Select candidates can expect to be contacted at the end of March 2024 and will have approximately a month to provide the requested additional materials.
Additional supporting evidence requested in this stage may include:
- Course syllabi and a brief discussion of concrete examples of your teaching approaches, including specific teaching lessons, student assignments, and other teaching and learning activities;
- formal teaching performance documents such as internal evaluation reports (in the case of candidates whose institutions conduct such evaluations);
- a written or electronic teaching portfolio demonstrating your teaching and its corresponding impact on student learning;
- additional testimonials from former and/or current students, colleagues, university administrators, or others who have first-hand knowledge of the candidate's teaching achievements.
PLEASE NOTE: These or other additional materials should NOT be submitted during earlier stages of the application process. Candidates will receive a written request for any additional materials, if required.
- Applications for the European Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Social Sciences and Humanities will be accepted until February 29, 2024. Applications should be sent electronically to: TeachingAward@ceu.edu. The selection process will be completed by the end of June 2024. The award competition is intended to be conducted annually.
- The CEU Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research will send an email to acknowledge receipt of the application within two weeks of the submission.
- In the latter stage of the selection process (end of March 2024), the CEU Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research will contact selected candidates and the higher education institution where they teach to obtain additional information in support of the application.
- All candidates will be notified of their status no later than the end of June 2024.
- The winner is expected to participate in the public recognition of the award (September 2024) and is requested to give a lecture or facilitate a workshop in conjunction with the awarding ceremony.
Conferring the Award and the Prize
The award and the Diener Prize are presented at CEU's academic year opening ceremony in September 2024. The award winner will also be invited to present a workshop for faculty and students and to participate in other award-related events at Central European University, Vienna, subject to their availability.