Current trends and developments in professional development, lifelong learning, and micro-credentials (online workshop)
Many universities around the world have been offering learning opportunities not just for students enrolled in traditional degree programs but also for adult learners seeking professional and personal development opportunities. Programs designed for non-traditional students often fill the training gaps of professionals seeking new credentials valuable on the labour market. Other programs address the learning needs of local communities and of specific groups. Adult education courses at universities can generate income, increase the institutional prestige and brand recognition and make the university more relevant in the community and among employers. Nevertheless, such programs are notoriously difficult to design and manage, due to limited resources and the limitations placed by regulatory frameworks in many countries.
This two-part online workshop will examine the current trends in lifelong learning and professional development at universities by addressing the following topics:
- Overview of current trends in adult education programs: existing programs, funding schemes and targeted audiences.
- European trends in LLL - a view from EUCEN- the European University Continuing Education Network (tbc)
- Opportunities and challenges for non-degree programs at institutional level
- Professional and personal development programs available at OSUN institutions: partners and participants
- Recent developments in micro-credentials: case-studies from Ireland, Australia, Austria and South Africa
- Reflections on professional development programs for staff available at OSUN institutions
The workshop is suitable for faculty and administrators interested in the topic, regardless of whether they currently work on adult education programs or not.
By the end of the workshop, participants will understand the opportunities and challenges presented by lifelong learning programs, the current state of recognition of micro-credentials and the adult education programs available at OSUN institutions.
Current trends and developments in professional development, lifelong learning, and micro-credentials
Dates: 26 and 27 January 2023, 14.30 - 16:30 Vienna time (GMT+1)
Instructors: Irene Lubbe and Pușa Năstase, Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning and Higher Education Research, CEU
How to Apply
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org a short (max 1 page) message indicating:
- Your current position
- Whether your activity is related to adult education or professional development programs, and if so in which way
- Why are you interested to attend
- What are your expectations from the workshop
Deadline for application is January 12, 2023 (late applications will be considered).
This course is part of the Professional Development Program for University Administrators of the Open Society University Network (OSUN).