The OSUN Professional Development Program for University Administrators strengthens capacity, reflection, and collaboration among higher education administrators and institutions within the Open Society University Network.
Opportunities for staff and faculty with managerial and leadership responsibilities at OSUN institutions during the upcoming year include the following:
- Courses running for 8 weeks and awarding 1 US credit (2 ECTS)
- Workshop series
- Institution-specific, on-site training and workshops
Courses and workshops are frequently framed around key functions and aspects of university administration (e.g., research, finance, students, teaching, civic engagement), exploring the variety of contexts, common trends, and innovative practices. Other courses and workshops focus on how individuals, units, and institutions navigate different environments to effectively implement good practice, manage change, and develop as professionals.
All courses and workshops strive to provide concrete opportunities for participants to network with other professionals at OSUN institutions and apply the knowledge and skills they are gaining in the contexts of their own roles and institutions.
Courses offered during the 2022/23 year include:
- Higher Education Management and Policy for Practitioners (Online - Fall 2022)
- Institutional Values and University Practices: Ethical Dilemmas in Higher Education (Online - Spring 2023) - new dates, initially planned for Fall 2022
Anticipated courses in 2023 (Fall):
- Quality assurance in higher education: a course for university administrators
To date, 80 participants from 14 institutions have participated in the projects’ innovative courses during the first, pilot year:
- Strategic and Inclusive Management of Higher Education Institutions
- Building and Supporting Research Excellence at Universities
- Managing Civic Engagement: Universities and Civic Actors
- Crisis Management in Higher Education
- Quality Assurance for University Administrators
These workshop series bring together administrators working in specialized fields to share experiences, explore innovative strategies, and increase their mutual understanding of OSUN practices. They generally take place over two days (subsequently or over two weeks). Anticipated topics for 2022/23 include (details to be finalized soon):
- Current trends and developments in professional development, lifelong learning, and micro-credentials (Winter 2023)
- Holistic Care in Times of Uncertainty for Higher Education Professionals (Winter 2023)
- Key Trends in University IT: From Learning Management Systems to Zoom and Beyond
- Institutional support for quality teaching and impactful curricula (co-sponsored with the OSUN Developing Teaching Professionals Project, Spring 2023)
Institutional-Specific On-Site Workshops
OSUN institutions have the opportunity to request on-site workshops and training events. These opportunities are limited due to funding and other constraints. Interested participants should coordinate with their OSUN representative in their institution and with the Professional Development Program for University Administrators lead, Dr Pusa Nastase (contact information below).
Project Lead and Contact
Dr Pusa Nastase